Sunday, September 13, 2009

CSA



This winter we decided to join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Farm. Then we heard about the farm's harvest share program - if you agreed to work there 12 times you would receive your veggies half price. Always one for a bargain I signed up to work there on Sundays. At first I found it to be difficult work and though we loved the fresh food, I wasn't sure I wanted to be there at 7:30 in the morning. However, after a couple of months I have learned so much about organic gardening and met some wonderful people. This has truly been a blessing for us. We have tried a variety of vegetables I never would have bought from the store - bok choy, swiss chard, and patty pan squash.

We love to grill the bok choy, and my family thinks swiss chard lasagna is quite a treat. Roasted garlic on fresh bread is another family favorite now.




In our share this week we received leeks, swiss chard, cucumbers, lettuce mix with beet greens, garlic, patty pan squash, okra, flowers, and some beautiful heirloom tomatoes. I am planning to make leek and potato soup, and swiss chard lasagna this week. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment