Wednesday, September 2, 2009

End of Summer Bounty

We always like to plant a lot of tomatoes every year. It just wouldn't be summer without all the wonderful pasta and salad dishes we make with the tomatoes. Since we now belong to a CSA and we have a lovely little farmer's market in town, we never lack for fresh veggies and fruit.

I love squash and zucchini but every year we seem to get so much. This year the CSA had some patty pan squash, which I always thought was so adorable, but we never tried it before last week. It tastes delicious sauteed in a little olive oil and then added to pasta. I like to throw in a few tomatoes with the pasta, along with 1 cup of chicken stock and a little parmesan cheese. Garlic roasted in the oven and then added to butter is wonderful when spread on a freshly baked loaf of bread, and makes an easy summer dish.

My daughter's face lit up when she saw the juicy peaches and corn. I was even able to pick up some local grass fed beef and sage sausage this morning when I made a quick stop at the farmer's market.



Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers at this time of year. Seeing their bright heads can cheer up any day. Last year we grew Russian sunflowers, which grow over 6 feet tall. We loved seeing the goldfinch fly in and out of the garden enjoying the seeds. I think we may plant them again next year.

I'm off to enjoy this beautiful day and the crisp morning. Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. We roast patty pan squash in the oven drizzled with olive oil and herbs. Alongside other squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes etc. Very easy dinner!

    ReplyDelete